- Who We Are
- What We Do
- About Child Abuse
- Annual Event
- Reading Room
- Your Visit to Mission Kids
Child Abuse In Montgomery County
Montgomery County is the third largest County in Pennsylvania with approximately 800,000 residents. Our communities are economically and culturally diverse and include long established residential neighborhoods, farmlands and urban areas. Mission Kids provides services to match our County’s diverse population, including non-English speaking residents and individuals with disabilities.
There is no corner of our county untouched by child abuse, including allegations of serious physical or mental injury, sexual abuse or exploitation, and serious physical neglect to children. These cases cut across all geographic, economic, racial, and ethnic boundaries in Montgomery County and is a silent epidemic.
In 2012, Mission Kids served almost 400 children. Of those cases:
- 70% were females, 30 % were males
- 93% of the Offenders were known to the Child
- 50% of offenders were a family member, including Parents, Stepparents, Grandparents, Siblings, and Extended Family Members.
- The Offender was an Unknown Person / Stranger in only 7% of the cases.
- Ages of the children served:
- 26% were 2 to 6 years old
- 36% were 7 to 12 years old
- 38% were 13 to 17 years old