Child Abuse Prevention Month - April 2021
Child Abuse Prevention - What YOU can do!
There are several ways you can get involved throughout the month of April to help keep kids safe and prevent child abuse.
As an individual, you can…
- Educate yourself! Learn more about the signs and indicators of abuse: Get Informed – Recognize Abuse
- If you suspect a child is being abused, report your suspicion to PA ChildLine: Call 1-800-932-0313 or report electronically here
- Attend Mission Kids’ “Darkness to Light” Training (You can attend our FREE public training on Wednesday, April 14th from 6-8pm!): Click here to Register!
- Participate in our virtual “ROAR” Lesson on Facebook Live on Saturday, April 24th at 10:30am: Join us on Facebook @ facebook.com/missionkidscac
- Talk to your children about body safety and use appropriate names for body parts
- Talk to your kids about consent and healthy relationships
- Recognize signs of Human Trafficking and Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children: Get Informed – Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children (CSEC)
- Strengthen community supports by helping a family in need or checking in on a neighbor
- Raise the issue/stay involved- Call or write local candidates and elected officials and advocate for issues related to child welfare: Find your local legislator here!
- Get involved/stay active in school organizations, youth-serving agencies, or volunteer to coach community sports teams
- Learn more about internet safety and create a “Code of Conduct” with your kids to keep them safe online
- Monitor your children’s TV, video, and internet viewing/usage
- Ask your children about their days, and be sure to listen to what they have to say.
- Create origami pinwheels with your child: Watch a video tutorial here
As an organization, you can…
- Organize a training for your staff: Learn more – Host a Training
- Share information and resources about child abuse by requesting materials such as posters and hand outs from local centers (like Mission Kids!)
- Raise money or host a third-party fundraiser for youth-serving agencies like Mission Kids: Learn more – Host a Fundraiser
- Invest in the community and become a “Partner in Prevention”: Learn more – Corporate Partnerships
Pinwheels for Prevention - Check us out in Pottstown!
April is National Child Abuse Prevention Month.
Every year, Mission Kids joins in with other organizations across the country to recognize the importance of our children, the future they represent, and the things that we can do every day to make sure they have the great childhood they deserve today.
The whole idea behind the pinwheel is to “re-frame” child abuse prevention by abandoning the bruises represented by the blue ribbon and replacing it with the colorful image of carefree children playing with pinwheels. This re-framing is based on extensive research showing that the majority of people see child abuse prevention as a national priority but cringe at the stark pictures and stories of child victims. Instead, community members want to know what they can do to help prevent abuse and neglect from happening in the first place.
How does Mission Kids use Pinwheels to Promote Prevention?
Mission Kids’ “Pinwheels for Prevention” Campaign is designed not only to draw positive attention to the topic of keeping children safe, but also to motivate the public to get involved. Every April, Mission Kids plants a symbolic “Pinwheel Garden” to raise awareness during National Child Abuse Prevention Month. This year, Mission Kids will plant symbolic pinwheels at Pottstown Hospital – Tower Health in honor of the nearly 500 children served by Mission Kids in 2020.
Check out our “Pinwheels for Prevention” Garden!
The pinwheels will be on display throughout the month of April at Pottstown Hospital – Tower Health, located at: 1600 East High Street Pottstown, PA 19464.
"WEAR BLUE" Day - Wednesday, April 14, 2021
Mission Kids encourages you to join us on Wednesday, April 14th for our annual “WEAR BLUE” Day!
Each year, we encourage our staff, MDT Partners, and community supporters to WEAR BLUE in order to raise awareness about Child Abuse Prevention Month and honor the children and families served by our Child Advocacy Center.
Show your support!
Take a selfie or a photo with your co-workers, friends, or family members wearing blue and share it on social media! Be sure to tag us (@missionkidscac) and use the hashtag #WearBlue4MK.
Our goal is to flood our social media networks with these photos to take a stand and raise awareness on April 14th!
Be sure to follow us and tag us across our social media platforms:
- FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/missionkidscac
- TWITTER: www.twitter.com/missionkidscac
- INSTAGRAM: www.instagram.com/missionkidscac
- LINKEDIN: www.linkedin.com/company/2047281
To have your photos included in Mission Kids’ “WEAR BLUE DAY” Campaign, please email them them directly to Michelle McDyre at: firstname.lastname@example.org
"Darkness to Light" - Wednesday, April 14th from 6-8pm
Join us on Wednesday, April 14th from 6-8pm for a FREE virtual child abuse prevention training!
WHAT TO EXPECT:
“Darkness to Light” uses real people and real stories to show you how to protect children. Throughout the 2-hour workshop, you’ll meet survivors who lived through child sexual abuse, experienced its immediate and long-term effects, and ultimately were able to find healing. You’ll meet experts who work with children and families, and confront abuse on a daily basis. Many of these survivors and experts are also parents themselves.
April is National Child Abuse Prevention Month, and our goal is train 5% of the adult population in order to see a decrease in child abuse over time.
Can we count on you?
Participants must pre-register using the Zoom Registration Link: CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
MAKE IT COUNT:
General Certificates of Completion will be issued to all participants upon successful completion of a workshop evaluation.
This workshop approved for two (2) contact hours of continuing education by The National Association of Social Workers and is approved for two (2) contact hours of continuing education for Dentist and Dental Hygienists.
For more information, visit: www.d2l.org
"ROAR" Live - Saturday, April 24, 2021 @ 10:30am
Join us on Saturday, April 24th at 10:30am for a “ROAR” Lesson on Facebook Live!
Materials you’ll need:
- ROAR – Parent Guide (English)
- ROAR – Parent Guide (Spanish)
- Poster – ROAR Rules (English)
- Poster – ROAR Rules (Spanish)
- Printable Coloring Sheet – ROAR Badge
To see a preview of the ROAR Lesson, CLICK HERE!
Get Involved on Social Media!
Join us in raising awareness across social media throughout the month of April!
Change your Facebook Profile Photo and Cover Photo to help us “plant” a virtual “Pinwheels for Prevention Garden!”
*Save this photo and upload it as your Facebook Cover Photo!
*Save this photo and upload it as your Facebook Profile Photo!